Thursday, March 3, 2011

This is really going to happen...

It is amazing how David has just jumped right in to keep us on schedule to leave on Monday (2-14). He got Grace off to school and she was so excited because they were having the class valentine’s party and she had a playdate after school. I’m trying to choke back  the tears and Grace can’t get into the car fast enough to leave. That gave me comfort and joy knowing that she was happy.

David and I hit the road and eventually go thru DC and get checked into our hotel. Sigh, the fun begins. I look at the clock and realize that I have two hours left until my “cut off” for surgery. My appetite was not very big so I went down to the lobby and ordered a ginormous decaf Margaret Misto and headed back up stairs to eat my granola bar.

I slept well. We got to the hospital on time, registered and the ball was rolling. It’s party time now. “Strip your clothes off, put them in this bag, gown open in the back, here’s the cup, there’s the bathroom, you know what to do.” The nurses and everyone were super sweet. They called David back and we were just hanging out taking with the nurse and waiting for the next flurry of activity. I scratched my head and I scratched it again. Then I think, ”I’m not a head scratcher.” I ask David if his head is itching and of course it’s not. Then I feel the first bump, I tell the nurse, and guess what…this is the next flurry of activity. “Check her chest,” the nurse says. My chest is beat red, as is my face and body. By this time I’m throwing up and my head literally feels like it’s exploding.

The nurse has stopped the drug and trying to comfort me. Dr. H has gotten there at this point and is telling the staff what to do and talking to David and me at the same time. I was in so much pain I couldn’t talk, cry, scream, or open my eyes. I was communicating with David by pinching and squeezing as hard as I could. After I finished throwing up in the bed pan I composed myself and smiled at Dr. H and asked how he’d been since I saw him last. He chuckled and looked at David and said, ”There’s our girl” He continued explaining that Ehlers-Danlos patients are often very sensitive to drugs that other patients are not. I turned over, flashed my back side, and he used a magic marker on my sacral spine area and an area next to it to mark the spot for the lumbar puncture. He said is there anything else you would like before we head into the OR? I asked him if he would say a prayer and he did and it was beautiful! I was confident that The Lord would keep me safe and guide Dr. H, too.

I kissed David and said I love you and the next thing I remember was smiling at him and holding his hand and David saying, “You did GREAT!”

God IS Good!!!

The outpouring of kindness, generosity, and love is overwhelming. Thank you all for everything – every thought, prayer, message, and your support. I could not begin to make it through this without you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment