Thursday, October 25, 2012

Crab Balls

Just had some yummy Crab Balls for supper here in lovely Lanham, Maryland at Jerry's Seafood, a "fine" dining establishment. I ate there one other time last spring but chose the Crab Bomb over balls as I had voracious appetite that day. Today, not so much.

When I had the Crab Bomb I was also here in Lanham to see my neurosurgeon aka Superman, Dr. Ahhz, The Man... for a little check up for my cervical incision (from my post-occipital craniectomy with fusion to C2 using harvested ribs 7&8.) It seemed as though I had an internal stitch that never dissolved and I was not healing. So, I went back to NC had a local plastic surgeon open it up and clean it out (debridement) and close it up - out patient surgery. Six days later I got out of the hospital on a boat load of antibiotics and a PICC line in my arm. Six weeks later the PICC line comes out and I finish my antibiotics,  I'm all healed and better. That puts us around mid June, 2012.

Here we go again, my incision decided it was still angry and flared up again... so I am back to the doctor, back on antibiotics and they tell me it will probably be for the rest of my life. Whoaaaaaa. I plan to live a long time!  This is the kind of thing that happens to those of us with EDS (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome - Connective Tissue Disorder) . We don't heal properly... and such.  Time to call The Man with the plan! My fabulous neurosurgeon in Maryland.

Two weeks ago I saw Superman and he said we're going back in. Apparently, there has been an infection that has tunneled down to my hardware (the titanium plate in my skull and the two rods to C2). Thus, the thinking is there is an infection in the hardware. Soooo, in the morning, bright and early with the birds chirping and the sun rising, Superman will take out my hardware and replace it. Apparently, now there is a low profile model of my hardware so I'm getting an upgrade. Additionally, he is going to revise the rib graft that is between the rods because my fusion is very thin. I believe this is the dirty work of EDS yet again.

The OR is scheduled from 7:30 - 11:30 so by the time you have your "Crab Bombs" for lunch I should be in recovery :)

David will be updating my blog to keep you posted on my status. Thank you so much for your care, support,  and most of all your prayers!

Thanks for reading,
Leigh Anne


2 comments:

  1. Praying for you and your NS - aka Superman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, will be thinking about you nonstop. xxoo abdm

    ReplyDelete